OLD BURY PUBS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OLD BURY PUBS

Post  jpmurray681 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:37 am

I'M TRYING TO ASCERTAIN THE EXACT LOCATION OF THE SHIP INN WHICH STOOD BY BURY BRIDGE IN THE LATE 1800's. WAS IT KNOCKED DOWN AND REPLACED BY THE BRIDGE INN WHICH IS SHOWN ON A MAP OF ABOUT 1895 NEXT TO THE RIVER ON THE LEFT GOING TOWARDS BURY.
ANY OTHER INFO ON PUBS IN THAT AREA OF BOLTON RD /CROSTONS RD PARTICULARLY THE WATERLOO, THE PEEL AND THE CRICKETERS WHICH ARE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN AROUND THERE.I WOULD APPRECIATE INFO ON.
SINCE I WAS OLD ENOUGH TO DRINK IN THE MID 1960,s I HAVE A LIST OF 82 PUBS ON OR WITHIN THE OLD BURY BOUNDARIES WHICH HAVE CLOSED MOST OF WHICH I HAVE HAD A DRINK IN, A FRIGHTENING THOUGHT.

jpmurray681

View user profile

Back to top Go down

OLD BURY PUBS

Post  DFELTON on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:42 am

TAKE A LOOK AT PHOTO b13134 ON THE BURY IMAGES WEB PAGE ON PAGE 5 OF THE BURY BRIDGE IMAGES. THE BUILDING ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE BRIDGE ALTHOUGH NOT CLEAR SEAMS TO FIT WITH THE UPPER STOREY AS PER THE PHOTOS OF THE SHIP INN. THE WINDOWS AND THE CHIMNEYS MATCH THIS BUILDINGS SHAPE MATCH BUILDINGS IN THIS POSITION ON THE TOWN PLANNING MAP OF 1849. THE BUILDINGS HAVE GONE ON THE TOWN PLANNING MAP OF 1891. IF THIS WAS THE SHIP INN THEN THE IMAGE DATE OF C1900 ON ONE OF THE IMAGES ON THE WEB PAGE IS INCORRECT?

DFELTON

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SHIP INN

Post  jpmurray681 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 am

I AGREE, LOOKS LIKE SHIP WAS ON THE SPOT WHERE THE EMPIRE CINEMA WAS LATER BUILT. IT ALSO EXPLAINS WHY THE ROAD IS BUILT UP HIGHER THAN THE ORIGINALPUB LEVEL. THE HEIGHT OF THE BRIDGE WOULD HAVE NEEDED RAISING TO MATCH A SIMILAR RISE IN THE APPROACH ROADS FROM THE WEST TO ALLOW THE CANAL TUNNEL TO GO UNDER THE ROAD TO LOWER WOODHILL.
LOOK ALSO AT PIC OF MARTINS BANK ON BURY IMAGE BANK, IT SHOWS BRIDGE INN ACROSS BURY BRIDGE AND SEEMS TO AGREE WITH BUILDING ON LEFT BANK OF RIVER IN YOUR PIC OF SHIP INN.

jpmurray681

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OLD BURY PUBS

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top