The Lomax brothers - Springfield House

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Lomax brothers - Springfield House

Post  B Webb on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:04 am

I am researching the history of Luton Town Football Club from 1885 to 1897. Three lads from Bury were major figures in the development of football in Luton and the creation of the football club. John Charles Lomax (b. 1864), Ernest Herbert Lomax (b. 1866) and David Alexander Napier Lomax (b. 1868) lived at Springfield House in the 1871 census. In about 1878/79 they were sent to boarding school in Luton by their father, John, who moved to London. The 1881 census has them at boarding school in Luton.

All three lads were great footballers and played for Luton Town many times. Their father was the first President of the club in 1885 and continued until his death in 1889. So the family played a huge role in the Luton football scene. Something which I want to highlight in my research - which I hope to publish in some form.

As a Luton fan I am coming up to Bury in March to watch the Shakers and the Hatters and will stay for a few days. So can anyone help, firstly with the "must see" parts of Bury, is Springfield House still there, a Cotton Mill etc.
Secondly, does anyone have any information on the brothers, Springfield House (including a photo), their father and his business please.
Thirdly, is there anywhere in town where I could do some research please.
Finally, can anyone help with football in Bury in the 1860/70's when the Lomax Brothers were growing up. Are there any records?

Even one line of information can be very helpful and help complete the historical jigsaw, so please do not hold back.

Many thanks for reading this and good luck to the Shakers for the rest of the season.

Cheers

Brian

B Webb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SPRINGFIELD HOUSE

Post  jpmurray681 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:40 pm

HAVE JUST READ YOUR QUERY RE SPRINGFIELD HOUSE. TRY THE BURY IMAGE BANK WEB SITE,PRESS P ON THE KEYBOARD TO FIND A PICTURE OF INTEREST. BEST OF LUCK

jpmurray681

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Springfield House

Post  B Webb on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:47 am

Many thanks for the guidance to the photo.  Much appreciated.

B Webb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Lomax Brothers and Luton Town FC

Post  B Webb on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 am

My website is up and running. See http://thestrawplaiters.com

While it is about the history of Luton Town FC, the three Lomax brothers played a huge role in football in Luton and in the formation of the club. As they are all Bury lads I hope you will enjoy it.

If you do not read anything else you should read the biography of D.A.N. Lomax under the "Biographies" button.

B Webb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lomax brothers - Springfield House

Post  B Webb on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:09 am

I have added a photo of J.C. Lomax and E.H. Lomax to my website - see Chapter 9, page 3.

This is the first time their image has been published. If you recognise them from photos you have - please let me know.

B Webb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lomax Brothers and Luton Town FC

Post  Roy Turner on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:11 am

Very impressed with your website. Although not a Luton Town fan I have found it very interesting. Glad our Forum provided some help to you Brian. I will put an item in our Local History Journal next issue about the Lomax Brothers.

Roy Turner

Roy Turner

View user profile http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Lomax brothers and Luton Town FC

Post  B Webb on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Roy, thanks for the comments.

I am working on a biography of J.C. and E.H. Lomax to go with the D.A.N. Lomax biography which is already on the website.

I can let you have copies via email when they are ready, which would be easier for you to publish. There are some very interesting details yet to be revealed.

Cheers

Brian

B Webb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lomax Brothers

Post  Roy Turner on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks Brian. That would be great.

Regards,
Roy Turner

Roy Turner

Back to top Go down

The Lomax Brothers

Post  B Webb on Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:09 am

Biographies of all the Lomax brothers are now on my website at http://thestrawplaiters.com Go to the Hall of Fame.

Roy Turner, I know you were interested in publishing these in your history magazine. Please help yourself to what you need from the website and let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers

Brian

B Webb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lomax Brothers

Post  Roy Turner on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:06 am

Thanks Brian.

Regards,
Roy Turner

Roy Turner