Croston Brow

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Croston Brow

Post  Fenman on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am

I am working on the history of a William Dearden whose family seems to have originated in the Bury area. William and his brother John were living in Croston Brow according to the 1841 census. Can anybody confirm where Croston Brow was? The only references I can find are that the old Turnpike from Bury to Bolton ran from Croston Brow Elton, at the Bury end, to the Bulls Head at the Bolton end. I am guessing that this is the current A58.

Modern maps show a Croston road at Elton, does anyone know if this is the same place. Streetmap show this as a modern dual carriageway with modern redevelopment. Do any old pictures exist of Croston Brow?

If anybody else is researching this family I have a fair amount of information I am happy to share so feel free to contact me.

Fenman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Croston Brow

Post  Roy Turner on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:45 am

In the Bury Places Names database of the Local History Society, Croston Brow has the following entry:
Place Name: CROSTONS' BROW
OS Grid ref: SD38034114
Place name Area: BURY/ (MOORSIDE AREA)
Category Description: STREET
Source of Information: 1ST ED. O. S. 5' MAP
Date of Source: 1870
Information held at: BURY ARCHIVE SERVICE
This grid reference indicates that Crostons Brow was around the back of the old Peel Mills (recently demolished) on Castlecroft Road and does not have much connection with the present Crostons Road, which is on the west side of the river Irwell.
Regards,
Roy.

Roy Turner

View user profile http://www.roysfilms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Croston Brow

Post  Fenman on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:24 pm

I have just looked this up on the modern map of Bury and it fits in neatly with what I know of William Dearden. In the 1852 trade dirrectory he is listed as a lime and coal dealer with a yard in School Brow which is a only few hundred yards from where your post says Crostons Brow was.

Thanks for taking the time to look up this information. Best wishes Dave

Fenman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Croston Brow

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top